Thursday, September 3, 2015

Bf109E-4 of Wilhelm Fronhöfer

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzT90eXSUSBVanMwWU05Sm5OX2s
This is the Bf109E-4 flown by Wilhelm Fronhöfer of 9./JG26 in which he made a wheels up landing in England on August 31st, 1940. Interestingly it lacks any yellow I.D. markings although III./JG26 was among the units that had used yellow wingtips and tailtips since early or mid August. III./JG26 aircraft had even been recorded with a full yellow nose only days before. Yet on August 31 aircraft from both III/JG26 and I./JG3 that came down in England lacked any yellow I.D. markings. Perhaps in preparation for what came a couple of days later when many fighter units on the channel front suddenly switched to white I.D. markings instead of yellow. 

More on that in my next post!

No comments: